Date:      Tue, 27 Jul 1999 13:02:53 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Stede Bonnet <stede@dgriffin.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, mediabiz@nytimes.com
Subject:   Re: About the security issue in NY Times

On Monday, 26 July 1999 at 23:06:43 -0400, Stede Bonnet wrote:
> On Tue, 27 Jul 1999, Greg Lehey wrote:
>
>> On Monday, 26 July 1999 at 22:45:10 -0400, Stede Bonnet wrote:
>>> In todays Business section, an article by Sara Robinson discusses a
>>> security problem apparent on UNIX OS's.
>>>
>>> How is that related to FreeBSD?  Do I have anything to worry about, and
>>> what should I do if I need to do something?
>>
>> I don't know.  We don't get the New York Times here.  What were the
>> details?  Is it on the web somewhere?
>
> I just located the 'address for comments from readers and coverage
> suggestions: "mediabliz@nytimes.com"  and the URL
>
> www.nytimes.com/business

Well, for the benefit of those who don't want to first have to
subscribe and look for the article, the real URL is
http://www.nytimes.com/library/tech/99/07/biztech/articles/26flaw.html.
It's really impolite to expect people to search for things when you
know the URL, though in this case it might be possible that you
wouldn't get access.  In any case, here's the relevant part of the
article:

    SAN FRANCISCO -- A leading computer security group is reporting a
    significant rise in potentially dangerous attacks that exploit
    security holes in programs shipped with the Unix operating system.

The article is pretty vague about what it's talking about:

    The attacks primarily exploit software that manages an appointment
    calendar program that is shipped with Unix operating systems from
    makers of powerful servers,

In any case, it refers to CERT (http://www.cert.org/).  They have the
low-down at http://www.cert.org/advisories/CA-99-08-cmsd.html.  It's
part of CDE, which is not supported on FreeBSD.  Nothing which affects
FreeBSD has been reported recently.

Greg