Date:      Wed, 2 Jan 2002 16:57:50 +1030
From:      Brian Astill <bastill@sa.apana.org.au>
To:        Matthew Graybosch <matthew@starbreaker.net>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: soundcard install

On Wednesday 02 January 2002 11:55, Matthew Graybosch wrote:

> If you're talking about a GUI tool for configuring soundcards, like
> YaST2 or HardDrake, then you're out of luck. If you have a pcm-based
> soundcard, all you need to do is read the Kernel Config section of
> the handbook:
> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/kernelconfi
>g.html
>
> Once you've done that, take the attached kernel config and place it
> in /usr/src/sys/i386/conf. Then follow the instructions for building
> a custom kernel using the config file I gave you.

Matthew, you ARE kidding?
Rebuild the kernel to obtain sound?  That is absurd in this day and age.
Surely you must be mistaken?
I don't necessarily expect HardDrake or Yast - but sndconfig surely
isn't asking too much.

I had wondered why KDE in my recently installed FBSD 4.4 OS kept coming
up with a warning about an unconfigured sound card - and I couldn't
find a configuration utility.  Surely your explanation cannot be the
correct one?

> Good luck.

If you are correct, newbies will surely need all the luck the can find!

--
Regards,
Brian