Date:      Sat, 14 Dec 2002 14:21:21 +0200
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@freebsd.org>
To:        Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
Cc:        Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: How can I post a pr when my IP can't be reverse-resolved?

On 2002-12-14 03:19, Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com> wrote:
> Terry Lambert wrote:
> > "?? ??" wrote:
> > This won't work because they disabled the web send-pr.
> >
> > I think the reason this was disable is some idiot was posting a
> > lot of PR's that were not really PR's, and then filling in the
> > mailing lists as "contact" (or whatever).  I saw a lot of these
> > right before they disable it.
>
> Exactly the reason.
>
> > Probably, the correct thing would be to accept the submission,
> > and pend it for review, before it became active as a real PR.
> > This would require that a human look at the pending PRs, and
> > make a decision.
>
> Oddly enough, the Core Team has discussed exactly this approach.
> It's a good idea.  Are you volunteering to do (some of) the work?
> Either of you?  ;^)

I'm trying to find some time to work on an outline that DES has
already posted about doing exactly the same thing.  Ideally, I'd like
to keep the way PRs are submitted unchanged when they come in through
email, and only require `moderation' for the PRs that are submitted
through web.  If anyone feels like doing something like this, I can
forward the message where Doug-Erling outlined his thoughts on the
topic, and I will be very glad to see that something *is* done to make
moderation happen.

Moderation for PRs submitted through email isn't going to win us a lot
of new quality PRs, but it is certainly going to put extra delays to
the submission of problem reports that I'd like to avoid.  Besides,
users with broken mail setups and ISPs who can't set up their DNS and
are blocked by the mail servers of FreeBSD.org should fix their setup,
we can't do anything about it.  At least, nothing that wouldn't also
buy us and all the users who are subscribed to the lists of FreeBSD
tons of extra spam :-/