Date:      Sun, 3 Jun 2001 08:31:17 -0500
From:      Gene Harris <g.harris@tetronsoftware.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: XFree86 and KDE installation >< close

You need to setup your .Xdefaults and .xinitrc in your home directory.  Here
is a sample that should get you started.  You can also modify the system
xinitrc file if you so choose to start kde by default.

.xinitrc
xrdb -load .Xdefaults
xmodmap -e 'keysym Alt_L = Meta_L Meta_L'
# The following line is key to getting kde to show up...
startkde

.Xdefaults
XTerm*ttyModes:  erase ^?
XTerm*termName:  xterm-color

As always, your mileage may vary

Gene

On Sunday 03 June 2001 08:08, Dan Anderson babbled on about:
> Hi,
>
> I recently installed a fresh 4.3 without X.  I did this so I could get a
> clean install of XFree86 4.0.x and KDE 2.1.  After doing a make install for
> XFree86 and then for KDE2 I had hoped to be up and running after
> configuring X for my display.  What I was hoping was that on one of my
> virtual terminals I'd have a nifty login screen that would then launch into
> KDE.
>
> Unfortunately, I don't know what to do next.  Running xdm isn't what I
> want, nor kdm.  Startx doesn't seem to be doing much.
>
> Can anyone tell me what steps one should take after the make install on
> XFree86 and KDE2?  I've tried poking around for docs on the system as well
> as on the respective websites and am still stumped.
>
> Dan Anderson

          Tetron Software, LLC
      http://www.tetronsoftware.com
FreeBSD  Apache  PostgreSQL  Perl gcc/g++
    Visual C++ COM/DCOM/COM+ ActiveX
         KDE Rules over Windoze