Date:      Sun, 21 Mar 1999 23:05:53 +0800
From:      Breaker <breaker@dal.net>
To:        XFree86@XFree86.org
Cc:        FreeBSD-Questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   XF86 3.3.3 library problem with FreeBSD 3.1-RELEASE

Hi,

	I haven't been able to determine whether or not this is a problem with
FreeBSD or X Windows, so I'm posting this to both lists. Basically, when
I go to run XF86Setup (or basically any executable binary in
/usr/X11R6/bin) I get the error:

	' ld.so failed: Can't find shared library "libXaw.so.6.1" '

	(or something of that nature, I'm back in Win32 typing this up and
can't remember the exact phrasing of the error message).

	The file/library that it reports it can't find *always* exists in
/usr/X11R6/lib and this directory has been added to ldconfig's listing
(postinst.sh does it automatically, and I've verified that ldconfig is
looking in /usr/X11R6/lib (or at least saying it is)).

	I'm running FreeBSD 3.1-RELEASE. The XF86 3.3.3 files extracted without
problems. I've actually extracted them twice, once through the "add
distributions" in the /stand/sysinstall setup screen, and secondly via
/usr/X11R6/extrace *.tgz.

	Any insight you can give that explains why it simply can't find the
libraries would be greatly appreciated. Solutions even more so.

	Thanks in advance.

	Regards,

		Trent.

--