Date:      Sun, 17 Jan 1999 00:27:55 +1100
From:      jonathan michaels <jon@caamora.com.au>
To:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Good keyboards

On Fri, Jan 15, 1999 at 01:13:10PM -0800, Jason C. Wells wrote:
> On Fri, 15 Jan 1999, Wes Peters wrote:
>
> >has a very nice keyboard made by NMB, say 95% as good as the Sun Type 5,
>
> I really like very nice tactile reponse of Powerbook keyboards as well as
> the low profile of the keys. Looking for keyboards on the net yileds me
> nothing but cheapo crap. I also tried converting to dvorak but the few
> keyboards I tried had a curve profile so the keys could not be moved.
>
> Who makes good keyboards? Where can I get them?

if you like teh ibm pc/rt keyboards .. sold with ibm rs6000 workstations,
lexmark build them for ibm these days. it is possible to buy them from lexmark
but the price is steep, in australia, they cost $AUD450 (abiut $USD300
doing a straight conversion).

i can supply ibm part and lexmark identifying number if your interested.

these keyboards are not as heavy as teh old (20 years ago) average mainframe
terminal keyboards, thierfore they are not as solid and do flex a bit but they
are not anywhere near as bad as teh $USD20 door wedgies .. er sorry keybaords.

ps, teh lexmarks are probably cheaper, things like import tax and freight etc,
i have several and wouldn't part with them for anyting. they are a full
stroke, straight keyboard that works well with freebsd, os/2 (i wonder why,
grin) and xfree and ibm pc dos, and ms dos v5.

also they woork well in your lap in bed and come with two length cables a
short one i use at teh desktop and a really long one i use when i bed ridden.
they are well balanced and respind to dvoraking very well, the key caps are
replaceable without taing teh key top off of teh kye shaft and spring assembly.

spares are also available .. a big plus if you use the keyboard to earn a
living and more than most amatures who just hunt and peck fro "fun and profit"

sorry for teh rave i like my lexmark, er umm ibm pc/rt keyboard. or if yo are
more familiar they are like teh keyboards as supplied with the ib, ps/2 series
computers.

regards

jonathan

ps, please excuse my spelling, dsylexia will do this to a spellchecker.