Date:      Tue, 11 Jun 2002 17:40:59 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Francisco Reyes <lists@natserv.com>
To:        Larry Rosenman <ler@lerctr.org>
Cc:        Jim Pingle <pingjj01@holmes.ipfw.edu>, freebsd-stable <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Can't build world. gperf error

On 11 Jun 2002, Larry Rosenman wrote:

> > It seems the problems is building
> > /usr/src/gnu/usr.bin/gperf
> >
> > I did a "make cleandir" from "/usr/src" then did a "cd
> > /usr/src/gnu/usr.bin/gperf" and make. It gave the same error I get when
> > trying to make buildworld.
> >
> > I am very puzzled that even deleting /usr/src and /usr/obj didn't help.

> I just did this on my 4.6-RC box.  It worked just fine.  Is it possible
> you have a BAD world?

I guess, but how would one fix a "BAD world"?

I copied the /usr/src/gnu/usr.bin/gperf directory from the crashing
machine to another machine and did make. It compiled fine.

The compilation lines do look quite different though.

Good machine.
Warning: Object directory not changed from original /src/gnu/usr.bin/gperf
c++  -O -pipe -fmemoize-lookups -fsave-memoized
-I/dsk2/src/gnu/usr.bin/gperf/../../../contrib/gperf/lib -I/dsk2/src

The broken machine
c++  -O -pipe -I/usr/src/gnu/usr.bin/gperf/../../../contrib/gperf/lib
-I/usr/src/gnu/usr.bin/gperf -c /usr/src/gnu/usr.bin/gperf/.
*** Error code 1

I thought maybe some differences on the make file..
Compared both machine's make.conf and matched the one that doesn't work to
use a make.conf like the one is working.