Date:      Wed, 21 Mar 2001 22:02:28 +0200
From:      Mark Murray <mark@grondar.za>
To:        Hurf Sheldon <hurf@Graphics.Cornell.EDU>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: cvsup/cvsupfile question

> Using cvsup to catch up to changes for 4.2-Stable, we ended up with
> 4.3-Beta. We used cvsup Nov-December, with (I thought) the attached
> cvsup file, to keep 4.2-Stable current. We ran cvsup yesterday. After
> `buildworld`, `buildkernel`, `uname` says:
>
> FreeBSD [host]  4.3-BETA FreeBSD 4.3-BETA #0: Wed Mar 21
>
> previous build `uname` says:
> FreeBSD [host] 4.2-STABLE FreeBSD 4.2-STABLE #1: Wed Dec  6
>
> Where'd we go wrong?

Nowhere.

> Can it be put right?

It is right.

This "BETA" (not to be confused with an unstable commercial "beta")
is simply "STABLE" with a tag on it to indicate that it is going
through the release engineering process to become 4.3-RELEASE (and
then 4.3-STABLE).

You have something that is stable, and is just close to the next
release.

Mark Murray
Warning: this .sig is umop ap!sdn