Date:      Thu, 6 Dec 2007 16:45:16 +1100
From:      Andrew Reilly <andrew-freebsd@areilly.bpc-users.org>
To:        freebsd-gnome@freebsd.org
Subject:   Intermittent problems building GNOME docs from ports

I'm in the process of re-building some parts of my gnome
installation and have encountered a strange thing, and thought
I'd ask if this was happening to anyone else, before I submit a
pr.  Not sure that a pr would help, in this case...

What's happening is that most of the gnome doco gets processed
by xlstproc, because it's DocBook XML of one form or another.
What is happening to me is that I get errors like this:

error : Operation in progress
http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/xml/4.1.2/dbcentx.mod:64: warning: failed to load external entity "http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/xml/4.1.2/ent/iso-amsb.ent"
%ISOamsb;
         ^
Entity: line 1:
 %ISOamsb;
          ^

Pointing a web browser (epiphany in my case) at the file
in question finds it, no trouble.  Re-running the make
also proceeds past that point, so the fault is clearly
intermittent. I'm on a good cable internet connection, and run a
local DNS cache, so I can't see why I would be having a problem
here *unless* the www.oasis-open.org site was actually under
some stress, and dealing with it by killing connections.  Is it?

Shouldn't these DTD files be installed on the local system by
the various docbook-* ports (which I have)?  If everyone in the
world has to hit the Oasis site whenever they want to format
a document, that would seem to be a strategy with a scaling
problem...

Cheers,

--
Andrew