Date:      Fri, 19 Apr 2024 21:54:32 +0900
From:      Tomoaki AOKI <junchoon@dec.sakura.ne.jp>
To:        Rainer Hurling <rhurlin@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: multimedia/webcamd future

On Fri, 19 Apr 2024 12:36:12 +0200
Rainer Hurling <rhurlin@gwdg.de> wrote:

> Am 18.04.24 um 23:56 schrieb Tomoaki AOKI:
> > Tracking logs of multimedia/webcamd, it was originally submitted by
> > hselasky@ [1], and the upstream was always his repo.
> >
> > After he passed away, we lost not only the maintainer, but also
> > the upstream, too.
>
> Hans Petters repo is still present until now:
> https://github.com/hselasky/webcamd

Yes, upstream "repo" is still accessible. But it's just "a part of the
project".

The problem is that:

  *Can anyone push update to the repo (or commit pull requests
   from someone)?

  *Can anyone grant commit bits for someone newly popping in?

  *Most importantly, who keep on developing/maintaining for
   new devices and/or chase changes on FreeBSD base side?

The first 2 are about managements of the repo.
The essential part is the last one. I call it as "upstream".

And as a repo, because Hans Petter has already passed away,
github could, possibly, BAN the repo in the future.
This suspition is why I think one of existing 9 or newly created
exactly one repo needs to become the new upstream repo as "the"
successor.

--
Tomoaki AOKI    <junchoon@dec.sakura.ne.jp>