Date:      Sat, 13 Feb 1999 11:00:01 -0800 (PST)
From:      Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
To:        freebsd-bugs@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: kern/10028: TCP problem binding port - address already in use

The following reply was made to PR kern/10028; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
To: David Hedley <david@inty.co.uk>
Cc: Bill Fenner <fenner@parc.xerox.com>, freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.ORG
Date: Sat, 13 Feb 1999 10:56:52 -0800 (PST)

 :> 	int on = 1;
 :> 	setsockopt(lfd, SOL_SOCKET, SO_REUSEADDR, (void *)&on, sizeof(on));
 :> 	listen(lfd, ... );
 :>
 :
 :The code in the server does this already - it doesn't make any difference
 :as I still get 'address already in use....'
 :It also doesn't explain that when I kill 'routed' the problem disappears
 :immediately.
 :
 :David
 :--
 :Dr David Hedley,Inty Development,Bristol,UK,0117 9050500,http://www.inty.net/

     Are you trying to bind to a specific IP address?

     The only thing routed messes with is the route table, but if routed is
     screwing up the interface routes it could certainly cause bind() to
     screw up - but it wouldn't be due to the hanging connections.  Instead it
     would be due to a bad route.

     Try running 'netstat -rn' while it is screwing up, and then again after
     you turn off routed and it stops screwing up.  Then compare the two route
     tables.

 					-Matt
 					Matthew Dillon
 					<dillon@backplane.com>