Date:      Tue, 20 Apr 2010 11:06:37 +0100
From:      krad <kraduk@googlemail.com>
To:        Alberto Mijares <amijaresp@gmail.com>
Cc:        Leandro F Silva <fsilvaleandro@gmail.com>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Volume Manager on FreeBSD ( ZFS / VINUM / GEOM )

On 20 April 2010 03:25, Alberto Mijares <amijaresp@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 19, 2010 at 8:37 PM, Leandro F Silva
> <fsilvaleandro@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I'd like to know what kind of technology are you using on FreeBSD for
> volume
> > manager, I mean, Z file system (ZFS), VINUM, GEOM,  or anyone else.
> > Seems that Oracle won't offer support for ZFS on opensolaris, so do you
> know
> > if FreeBSD will keep working with ZFS ?
> >
> > I had some old production servers those aren't using any kind of
> technology
> > for volume manager, so could you please share what you're using / ideas /
> > complains with us .
>

> I'd put my hands on fire for gvinum (vinum + GEOM). ZFS is great, but
> I'm not expert yet.
>
> Regards.
>

> Alberto Mijares

If you are looking at running oracle it wont be supported on freebsd either.
The only free OS it will be supported on now is going to be linux
unfortunately (assuming it doesnt have to be redhat enterprise). However if
you are getting paid support on Oracle, then I doubt it will be much more to
get a support contract for solaris, therefore if you are mission critical
that would be your best option as you would have full vendor support and
have zfs, which is very useful for hot backups.