Date:      Mon, 14 Feb 2005 06:12:06 -0800
From:      Jon Simola <jsimola@gmail.com>
To:        David Gilbert <dgilbert@dclg.ca>
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: altq for vlans?

> > On Sunday 13 February 2005 22:36, David Gilbert wrote:
> >> Has anyone considered patching the vlan driver to support altq?  I
> >> gather that since tun works, so should vlan.
>
> Well... the issue is several fold.  Firstly, the router in question is
> talking in trunk mode to a switch which in turn hands out ports to end
> user boxes.  So the "real" interface could be queue limited, but in
> general, it can be assumed that the GigE interface is faster than the
> sum of the traffic coming into it.
>
> Now... you seem to be saying that if the queue is attached to (in this
> case) em0, and vlan10 goes through em0, that traffic will be subject
> to the queue ... even though it's been tagged ... and from the
> perspective of em0 is no longer IP traffic.
>
> This is certainly not obvious, if it is the case.
>
> But from a vlan-as-virtual-circuit-replacement standpoint, it makes
> sense to note a vlan as a queue entity.

I went through exactly this. I wrote my own patch for if_vlan.c that
allowed ALTQ queueing on a vlan interface. I used that patch and ran
hundreds of GBs of live customer data a week through the router with
those patches. I never saw any problems. Then again, I never managed
to figure out queuing on the vlan parent interface either. Both worked
as far as I could tell, but I've gone to

> Anyways, the _real_ problem is that traditionally, I'd used firewall
> rules for accounting as well as security.

I've used several varieties of firewall rules to count traffic (count
rules, ipfw pipes) and I've switched over to a custom program that
sniffs packets via libpcap off the vlan parent, and counts them.

It's not fancy, but it does have some certain advantages (like passive
MAC address sniffing, which I find quite handy dealing with some of
the more "adventurous" clients).