Date:      Fri, 11 Feb 2000 20:39:34 -0700 (MST)
From:      Ivan Fetch <ivanfetch@technologist.com>
To:        R Joseph Wright <rjoseph@nwlink.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: can't receive mail with pine

Hi Joseph,
   The syntax for opening a pop3 folder in pine is:
{mail.somewhere.com/pop3/user=username}

You could enter this into your .pinerc as an inbox, or (just to try it
out) type it after pressing g (go to folder).  Unfortunately pop3 does not
really like it very much when you keep a connection open and read through
your mail - It tended to timeout for me.  Maybe a better solution would be
to use fetchmail to get the messages from your pop server, and deliver
them to your local account (on your machine) through your normal mail
agent.

Hope this helps,
Ivan Fetch.