Date:      Mon, 14 May 2001 10:10:17 -0400
From:      dochawk@psu.edu
To:        "Victor R. Cardona" <vcardona@home.com>
Cc:        krisno pryosusilo <krisnop@ozemail.com.au>, "freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD, Linux & Msdos file sharing?

At the moment, the best bet for sharing between linux & freebsd seems
to be a FAT file system.  Add windows/dos into the mix, and I"d stick
with fat for certain.

I have yet to have anyone tell me that a couple of old problems with
linux and *bsd using one another's filee systems have been solved.

At about version 3.2, I tried to use my linux partitions with freebsd,
and there would be occasional insertions of random data into the file
systems.

 From the other direction, linux kills the parititon
information when you slip and try to mount a bsd slice as ext2.  At the
moment, I'm having a problem with linux being unable ot write to a bsd
partition as a user (I think root can write).  MOunt shows my bsd
drives mounted rw, but any attempt to write yields a "RO file system"
error.

hawk

--
Prof. Richard E. Hawkins, Esq.                     /"\   ASCII ribbon campaign
dochawk@psu.edu  Smeal 178  (814) 375-4700         \ /   against HTML mail