Date:      Thu, 22 Jul 1999 16:41:54 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Jim Flowers <jflowers@ezo.net>
To:        Thomas Uhrfelt <thomas.uhrfelt@plymovent.se>
Cc:        skip-info@skip-vpn.org;, freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SV: SKIP and NAT nomadic server - howto (long)

Absolutely not stupid.  This is the essential VPN concept (at least in my=
=20
mind).  There isn't any reason why the configuration that I outlined=20
shouldn't work for both ends as long as the public skiphost address on=20
one end is fixed.  Even better if both skiphost addresses are known in adva=
nce as=20
that relieves the requirement that the skiphosts be located in-line=20
through the use of static routes.

With this kind of setup you can even access the Internet from the other=20
end, set up Exchange server replications and anything else you can think=20
of that can run over IP.  Great for desktop to desktop transfer if you=20
have enough bandwidth.

For secure systems, I prefer a screened subnet system.  The skiphost=20
functions can be combined with bastion host functions running on a=20
perimeter network.  I have one system with VPN nodes in USA East Coast,
USA West Coast, Belgium, Goa, India and Taiwan. Soon to add USA Southeast
and Delhi, India.  Works great.

Jim Flowers <jflowers@ezo.net>
#4 ISP on C|NET, #1 in Ohio