Date:      Mon, 11 Jan 1999 11:41:03 -0800 (PST)
From:      rick hamell <hamellr@dsinw.com>
To:        Quintin Oliver <quintin@smlt.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Connect speed on FreeBSD.

> We run a local ISP powered by FreeBSD 2.2.8 and 3.0, our users connect to
> FreeBSD on 2.2.8 on modem dial. The modems are Modular Technologies V.90
> compliant, however, many of our users have reported that they can only
> connect at about 31k to 35k a second, that is there actuall connect speed
> NOT BANDWIDTH from the net. I've checked our configuation over and over
> again, we are using Mgetty and we are asking it to connect the users at
> 57600??

	I am by no means an expert here, BUT, in my area nobody can
connect at 56k because the phone lines and the phone company's equipment
aren't the latest and greatest. Even with perfect line conditions I
barely ever see anything past about 41k or so, and I've got a 56k modem
hooked into a ISDN modem with digital lines.

						Rick