Date:      Sun, 7 Jul 2002 21:29:42 -0700
From:      Nathan Kinkade <nkinkade@dsl-only.com>
To:        "Asep Ruspeni" <ruspeni@mti.itb.ac.id>
Cc:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: hiding OS name

On Mon, 8 Jul 2002 09:32:09 +0700
"Asep Ruspeni" <ruspeni@mti.itb.ac.id> wrote:

> I am newbie in FreeBSD OS, but i have lot of concerned in securing
> system.
>
> I have questions like this :
>
> - how can i set-up FreeBSD, so when it being scanned, it's show no
> operating system name + version.
> - is there any articles i colud read about securing freeBSD such as
> the question i ask above.
>
> thank you in advance.

What you are looking for is not really a function of FreeBSD, but rather
of the various servers you may be running on FreeBSD such as Apache,
FTP, Sendmail, and so on.  If it's going to happen it will probably be
something that you configure the daemon to do, however I don't know
which allow you to do something similar other than wu-ftpd, although I'd
guess there are others.  Network scanning utilities - I'm thinking of
nmap in particular - allow you to scan a host(s) and attempt to
determine the OS/version based on certain peculiarities in the
response(s).  One way to help minimize the impact of this would be to
set the net.inet.tcp.blackhole and net.inet.udp.blackhole kernel
parameters using the sysctl utility.  For more information on this
checkout the "blackhole(4)" manpage with `man 4 blackhole`.

Nathan