Date:      Tue, 25 Mar 1997 19:36:00 -0800 (PST)
From:      Mike Pritchard <mpp>
To:        smc@servtech.com (Shawn Carey)
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Anyone else seen this?

Shawn Carey wrote:

> [snip]
> Now that we are running 2.2-RELEASE, this anomaly appears to be
> something more serious than I originally thought, as gdb now stops the
> program with the message "Process killed due to text file modification",
> and sure enough, the file's date is changing but a diff between an idle
> copy and the "modified" executable is nil.  Furthermore, I have recently
> discovered that if I link the program with -static, the problem goes
> away.
>
> Linking statically is a fix that is good enough for me, but I would be
> interested in helping to find out what's going on if anyone thinks this
> is worth more investigation.  I have already emailed John Polstra, who
> says he has seen similar occurences, and John Dyson, who seems to have a
> full plate at the moment.

This sounds exactly like the problem that /etc/daily turns up once
in a while.  Once in a while it will find setuid files that have
had their times changed, but nothing ever really touched the file.
This is the first time I've heard that dynamic/static linking makes
a difference.  That is a good clue.
--
Mike Pritchard
mpp@FreeBSD.org