Date:      Tue, 20 Jan 1998 23:50:39 -0500
From:      "Melvin C. Etheridge" <mele@bulloch.com>
To:        isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: new ISP questions...

--------------D39F9B8D32A6827775634BBC

Justin L. Ogden wrote:

> I've been thinking of starting an ISP and I have a couple questions I
> was hoping someone might be able to help me out with.  First one deals
> with the modems....
>
> What kind of modems would I need to host my users?  Do I want to have a
> bunch of external everyday 33.6 modems laying around, or is there
> another solution?  Also, what about hosting 56k connections?  What kind
> of equiptment do I need for that, and what type of phone lines?  A rough
> price for the phone lines would be great!
>
> And in general...what kind of equiptment would I need to start an
> ISP...with a 1000 users or so?  What about if I wanted to start small
> scale, and have about 10 or so, just to get the feel of it?
>
> And now a software problem...how to I get FreeBSD and Windoze 95 to
> establish a connection without user interaction?  Right now I can
> establish the connection using the dial up window after the call is
> connected, but I'd like to get the full automated process.
>
> Any information would be greatly appreciated!!!
> Thanks in advance,
> Justin

  This depends on your money situation.  I would go with 2 PM3's or 2 Cisco
AS5248's ($13995 ea for ISP's) with 48 modems to start with.  This will run
you about  $240 per port.  A Cisco 2501 for routing(not needed with
5248's).
These systems will give your customers 56kflex and isdn access.

For authentication a good 200 mhz pentium pro system with 64 megs RAM and a
4 gig fast/wide scsi drive.

I would set things up for PAP authntication.  This eliminates alot of
connections headaches.  No dial up widow needed.

With a 1000 users you will need a T1 to start with or atleast a 512k frame
relay.

Also both access servers above require a T1/PRI from the local CO.

--------------D39F9B8D32A6827775634BBC

begin:          vcard
fn:             Melvin C. Etheridge
n:              Etheridge;Melvin C.
adr;dom:        ;;107 Evergreen Dr.;Statesboro;GA;30458;
email;internet: mele@bulloch.com
tel;work:       912-871-1237
tel;fax:        912-871-1464
tel;home:       912-489-2881