Date:      Wed, 11 Nov 1998 14:47:04 -0800 (PST)
From:      asami@FreeBSD.ORG (Satoshi Asami)
To:        mike@smith.net.au
Cc:        sprice@hiwaay.net, ports@FreeBSD.ORG, msmith@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: auto ports build script

 * >  (i) A tarball that contains an extracted bindist, tweaked /etc and
 * >      whatever others (like share/info/dir) that are needed, plus portcheckout
 *
 * What this *screams* out for is unionfs.

That's what I thought too.  Too bad I don't have the knowledge to fix
it. :<

 * Don't be stingy about space, and wherever possible, don't vary from
 * what people are "normally" going to have.

It's not really about space, it's because of speed.  It takes a
looooooong time to unpack that 26MB (compressed) tarball. :)

 * > For speeding up (2), one thing we my want to do is to add an
 * > "uncompressed" package type to pkg_*.  Those packages should be much
 * > faster to pkg_add.  (They will also be faster to build, but that has
 * > to be done sooner or later so it doesn't help the overall time.)
 *
 * If it's a real issue, try a "pick'n'place" approach, where everyting on
 * the packing list gets picked up and transferred into an individual
 * temporary subtree, where a batch process can come compress it later.
 * This'll translate well as we move to the new package format too.

That might miss some @exec/@unexec lines in PLIST or install/deinstall
scripts.  I thought it might just be easier to add a new option to
pkg_create to not add -z to the tar flag (and an ability to pkg_add to
recognize it and DTRT).

 * Don't stress about space or computrons; that's for me and Jordan to
 * worry about - you need to tell us what you need, and then get it done.

Well, as I said, I think we need at least 8 machines, P6-200 or
faster, and Jordan already said no. :)

The truth of fact is that we do have 20 machines, all running FreeBSD,
with at least one spare 7GB partition each.  So I might be able to put
this together much faster than you guys if I can convince my
professor.

Satoshi