Date:      Tue, 23 Nov 1999 02:03:34 +0000
From:      Brian Somers <brian@Awfulhak.org>
To:        Julian Elischer <julian@whistle.com>
Cc:        spork <spork@super-g.com>, "Louis A. Mamakos" <louie@TransSys.COM>, freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG, Archie Cobbs <archie@whistle.com>, Brian Somers <brian@awfulhak.org>, Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@freebsd.dk>, ppp/sync project <ppp@phk.freebsd.dk>
Subject:   Re: Announce: PPPoE for -curent and -stable now standard.

> Net type people.
>
> As the Header annunces, FreeBSD now has a full implementation of
> PPPoE in -current. -Stable has all the kernel and ppp parts but
> not yet the pppoed that lets it serve pppoe sessions (only needs
> MFC-ing)
>
> Thanks go particularly to Brian who got a "deep end
> of the pool" introduction to Netgraph. And who did as much
> to debug my hacky netgraph code as another person could be
> expected to put up with.

And thanks to you for being persistent and not giving up on trying to
show me the light.

[.....]
> Well it took longer than expected as neither Brian nor I was working
> on it full time but I think everyone will be pleased by the result.
> (see the netgraph(4), netgraph(3) ng_pppoe(8) ppp(8) and pppoed(8)
> man pages for details).
>
> This will be improved even more when ppp learns to use netgraph to
> to ppp packet processing totally in the kernel. (we already have it
> working under mpd). This will result in NO kernel boundary crossings
> for ppp processing.

To infinity and beyond !!!!!

Just to flesh this out a bit, Archie Cobbs @ Whistle has done most of
the groundwork here (ng_ppp, ng_async, ng_vjc).

My ultimate aim is to figure out a way of turning code like ng_vjc and
ng_async into something that can be preprocessed into a kernel source
file, a kernel module and a ppp userland module (the first two are
already there).

Then the controlling code (usr.sbin/ppp/{link,physical}.c) can decide
how it's going to `build' a link based on how much of it needs to be
in userland (eg: ``set device !someprogram'') and how much of it can
be forced into the kernel.  Everyday devices such as Ethernet (PPPoE),
ttys and ISDN devices (i4b) will be the first candidates.

Poul-Henning (cc'd) is wholly responsible for being the first person
to make me believe that it's really possible for me to do this, but
the learning curve (me understanding anything under /sys) was a bit
daunting - read the pppd code if you want to be scared away from the
kernel for life !

Julian is responsible for bringing something pretty much standalone
into the kernel (read: a finite thing that's possible to understand)
and pushing me into wanting to make things work.

Of course ppp(8) will probably never be complete - I've been working
at it for 3 years now, and my TODO list is longer than it was before
I started !!!

Brian <brian@Awfulhak.org>                        <brian@FreeBSD.org>
      <http://www.Awfulhak.org>;                   <brian@OpenBSD.org>
Don't _EVER_ lose your sense of humour !          <brian@FreeBSD.org.uk>