Date:      Mon, 20 May 1996 21:34:48 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        alk@Think.COM (Tony Kimball)
Cc:        gpalmer@freebsd.org, bmah@cs.berkeley.edu, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ip masquerading

>    If nothing else, I believe it is possible for a SOCKS implimentation
>    for Windows workstations to be done at the winsock.dll level, isn't
>    it?
>
> Windows can go suck eggs as far as I'm concerned.  I don't care about
> Windows.  I don't care about MacOS, and I don't care about OS/2.  I
> care about my lawnmower, and keeping my pop-tarts in a non-combustive
> state.  Just wait 'til you get a taste for those strawberry sweeties
> and alzheimer's sets in.  Poof, there goes your house.  Don't say I
> didn't warn you.

This is silly.  You'll call into your firewall, and call your toaster
on a non-routed network from there.  You're poptarts aren't going
to call you; at worst, they will send a "help me!  I'm burrrrniiinnng!"
SNMP trap to the firewall, which will trap to you.

> I'm worried about the k12 using an FBSD gateway, having zero network
> expertise.  I want them to be able to push a button and then when
> they plug in their Apple ][e it just works.

Lets see you do this with Linux, which has "masquerading".  8-).

>    One reason for having masquerade is to allow you to offload shell
>    processing load from the gateway. You are promptly putting that load
>    back on. Garrett has his reasons for not liking masquerading, I have
>    mine.
>
> Fine, don't use it.  I think it would be silly not to take advantage
> of it, once it is in place, however, since it will simplify your
> administrative burden.

There's the rub: it's not in place.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org