Date:      Tue, 16 Mar 2010 16:17:38 +0200
From:      Jaakko Heinonen <jh@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Pawel Jakub Dawidek <pjd@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        freebsd-geom@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: geom_label and directories under /dev

Thanks for your reply.

On 2010-03-16, Pawel Jakub Dawidek wrote:
> What you described are bugs in devfs that should be fixed in devfs and
> not worked around by limiting GEOM flexibility.

I don't disagree in general.

> Devfs allows to create multiple entiries with the same name and this
> is bug, file system shouldn't allow that.

I am not a devfs expert but the current make_dev(9) interface suggest
that it's responsibility of the caller to ensure sanity of device names.
make_dev(9) can't fail AFAIK, so fixing it seems to require writing a
new interface for devfs. Also, changes in GEOM may be needed because
g_dev_taste() isn't prepared to handle make_dev() failures.

--
Jaakko