Date:      Sun, 3 Mar 2002 21:53:05 -0500 (EST)
From:      Kenneth Wayne Culver <culverk@wam.umd.edu>
To:        "Brian T.Schellenberger" <bts@babbleon.org>
Cc:        "Justin L. Boss" <jlboss@yahoo.com>, "freebsd-questions@freebsd.org" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: NVIDIA  3D FreeBSD Drivers

> I don't think I'm missing your point, I just disagree with it.
>
> Instead of fighting for FreeBSD I'd rather fight for open source software,
> and the nvidia Linux "solution" is to include Linux in their closed-source
> world.  You want them to include FreeBSD in their closed-source world as
> well.
>
> This seems more like betrayal to the cause than fighting for the cause to me,
> and I, for one, am not going to fight for that.
>
> A petition for them to release their information so that FreeBSD *and* other
> O/S's could take advantage of their hardware--*that*, I would support.
>
> But not this.

So let me get this straight... You would rather wait for something that is
never going to happen than see usable 3d drivers come out for
FreeBSD. This is unrealistic. Nvidia is legally unable to release source
for their drivers, and I think we should be happy that they want to
support FreeBSD at all. There is no legal or moral obligation for them to
release specs for their cards or open-source drivers. The fact that they
are releasing drivers at all is enough for me (and most other people that
actually want to USE the 3d support that they paid for.)

Ken