Date:      Tue, 08 Sep 1998 19:15:05 +0200
From:      Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>
To:        Brian Beattie <beattie@aracnet.com>
Cc:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>, "Daniel O'Connor" <doconnor@gsoft.com.au>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: HEADS UP: 6 days to C-DAY

In message <Pine.LNX.3.96.980908090624.17814C-100000@shell2.aracnet.com>, Brian Beattie write
s:

>> > Hey, I own all of the CD's in question :)
>>
>> Owning the disc does not grant you the right to copy its contents
>> (which you do not own).
>>
>Actually I think "fair-use" does allow one to make copies, so long as you
>do not distribute those copies.  It certainly allows one to copy parts for
>certain uses.

You can make as many copies as you want, as long as you can credibly
prove that only one of them is being used at any one time and that
you're not a library or a rental-agency, for whom special rules apply.

Normally this is interpreted by the lawyers as "you can safely make one
copy as long as it is for you own personal use."  Mind you, you cannot
make a copy and give it to your wife/kid/neighbor, since then it might
be in use at the same time as the original...

"ttyv0" -- What UNIX calls a $20K state-of-the-art, 3D, hi-res color terminal