Date:      Tue, 30 Jun 1998 23:24:39 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Joel Ray Holveck <joelh@gnu.org>
To:        gurney_j@resnet.uoregon.edu
Cc:        tlambert@primenet.com, peter@taronga.com, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Adding a new user interface to FreeBSD administration

>> The reason for the Windows 95 registry implementation was the explosive
>> proliferation of .INI files.  I would hate for FreeBSD to go down that
> hun?  I thought win31 had a registry too, it's just that apps didn't
> use/didn't have access to the registry...  I remeber running regedit
> on a win31 box...

Win 3.1 did have a registry, accessable to apps (otherwise how would
regedit work?).  It was the equivilent of the Win32 registry key
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT.  (If you use regedit /v you will see a little bit
more clearly the hierarchal structure.)  All it stored was information
about file types and OLE servers; preferences were still in INI files.

Happy hacking,
joelh

--
Joel Ray Holveck - joelh@gnu.org - http://www.wp.com/piquan