Date:      Tue, 11 Mar 1997 09:58:50 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        chuckr@glue.umd.edu (Chuck Robey)
Cc:        terry@lambert.org, joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de, FreeBSD-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: pcvt/132 columns

> > As to your question, it's a non-sequitur... DOS supports .EXE files,
> > but BIOS POST does not.  You also presume (incorrectly) that DOS is
> > an OS.
>
> Terry, I may not think very highly of DOS, even given the context in
> which it was written, but it is an OS, at least I maintain it is.  Could
> you defend that remark?

It is a disk loader and a non-reentrant real mode interrupt handler; I
know this is already common knowledge...

It does not have these OS features:

o	Multitasking (an OS which can not multitask is a loader, not
	an OS)
o	Resource tracking
	o	Memory (the big one)
	o	Open file handles
	o	Anything not hung off the PSP
o	Memory protection
o	System reentrancy (there is a single BIOS call stack for
	most BIOS calls, which is why they are not available to
	TSR's that don't supply their own system stack)
o	Fault recovery (pretty obvious it can't be done without
	resource tracking and memory protection, etc.)

In addition, an OS enables software engineering.  I could go on for
days about how DOS fails in this regard.

					Regards,
					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---