Date:      Wed, 20 Aug 1997 08:03:42 +0200
From:      j@uriah.heep.sax.de (J Wunsch)
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        searle@longacre.demon.co.uk (Michael Searle)
Subject:   Re: Fast measurement of used swap?

As Michael Searle wrote:

> All the programs I've seen that do it use kvm, in fact using the
> same piece of code from swapinfo. This is very slow (uses several
> thousand syscalls) and also takes time proportional to the amount of
> swap (whether this is used or not), so I don't want to do this
> unless it's the only way.

I'm afraid this is the only way.  What is ``systat -vmstat'' using?  I
would assume this is the definitive reference implementation, since
it's a system utility (as opposed to just a port).

> (BTW, I'm using 2.1.0 if it matters.)

I remember from merging the -current scheme into xperfmon++ that
things got worse in later versions.  Ah what, i might be confusing
this with the network packet counting.

--
cheers, J"org