Date:      Thu, 12 Oct 2000 15:21:51 -0400
From:      Bill Fumerola <billf@chimesnet.com>
To:        Tom Samplonius <tom@sdf.com>
Cc:        John Reddy <jreddy@lightning.net>, freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 3Com 3C509 - packet dropping

On Thu, Oct 12, 2000 at 09:00:27AM -0700, Tom Samplonius wrote:

> On Tue, 10 Oct 2000, John Reddy wrote:
>
> > I've got a 3Com 3C509 server NIC that every now and then will simply stop
> > xl0: no memory for rx list -- packet dropped!
> > xl0: no memory for rx list -- packet dropped!
>

>   3COM 509 + xl is notoriously troublesome.  Use an Intel card (fxp
> driver) instead.

Except the 3com 509 and the xl driver are mutually exclusive. The user
has a reliable 3c905 actually and simply (as I already said) needs to tune
his network buffers more appropriatly.

I've already talked to one of his cohorts(hi gersh) off-list so this is a
dead issue (as far as this mailing list is concerned).

--
Bill Fumerola - Network Architect, BOFH / Chimes, Inc.
                billf@chimesnet.com / billf@FreeBSD.org