Date:      Thu, 24 Jun 1999 13:43:09 +0930 (CST)
From:      Kris Kennaway <kkennawa@physics.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        "John W. DeBoskey" <jwd@unx.sas.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Login validation by home directory location (PAM?)

On Thu, 24 Jun 1999, John W. DeBoskey wrote:

>    There must be a better way of doing this, but I don't see
> how. I've looked at PAM, but I don't understand how I could make
> this type of facility work except maybe in the pam_authenticate()
> routine. However, this seems complicated compared to simply
> modifying auth_traditional().

Disclaimer: I'm only just reading about how PAM works, I haven't written any
PAM modules.

This sounds like a job for a PAM `account' module: these permit access to
resources based on non-authentication mechanisms (such as time of day, whether
you're on the system console or on the network, etc).

It shouldn't be too difficult <tm> to write a module to permit/deny logins
based on machine name and the user home directory, or whatever. PAM being
modular, you would just insert this module into the relevant resource access
stack in the config file.

Check out the Linux-PAM documentation at
http://www.au.kernel.org/pub/linux/libs/pam/Linux-PAM-doc.tar.gz
which seems (from what I've read so far) quite good.

Kris

-----
    -- Unknown