Date:      Mon, 30 Nov 1998 10:05:23 -0800
From:      Renaud Waldura <rwaldura@LIGOS.COM>
To:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: network time and host synchronisation

	> sort of time server to use and or if a stratum 1
	> would send around teh goons

Use your provider's time servers. It's faster, as reliable, and cuts down
global bandwidth. If they don't have one, consider changing providers. They
_should_.

	> so, once teh principle time server for teh local ethernet
	> is established, it should be a simple matter of using timed
	> to keep teh rest synchronised and in

Since you're on Ethernet, use its properties: configure xntpd to broadcast
time announcements onto your local network. Clients can use xntpd, or a
nifty little thing called "Tardis K9" for Windows.

Server config file:

	# file storing permanent clock parameters
	driftfile /var/run/ntp.drift

	# broadcast time to local networks
	broadcast 192.168.1.255
	broadcast 207.238.131.191

	## TIME SERVERS ##

	# kerberos.digex.net
	server 204.91.99.129 prefer
	restrict 204.91.99.129 nomodify

	# ns.scruz.net
	server 165.227.1.1
	restrict 165.227.1.1 nomodify

Client config file:

	# file storing permanent clock parameters
	driftfile /var/run/ntp.drift

	# operate in broadcast mode
	broadcastclient

Oh, and there _are_ free spell checkers around. Even for Mutt.

--Renaud