Date:      Fri, 18 May 2001 00:56:53 -0500 (CDT)
From:      David Scheidt <dscheidt@tumbolia.com>
To:        David Wolfskill <david@catwhisker.org>
Cc:        <current@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: background fsck

<cc list trimed.>
On Thu, 17 May 2001, David Wolfskill wrote:

:(I see it does want the file system clean when soft updates is enabled,
:but doesn't check for that for a disable request.)
:

Right.  fsck(8) can make assumptions about the state of the filesystem if it
knows that softupdates were in use.  (There's a smaller set of possible
inconsistancies, but I don't remember what they are.)  It's safe for fsck to
assume that the filesystem could be in worse shape than it actually is, but
not safe to assume it's cleaner.

David
--
dscheidt@tumbolia.com