Date:      Mon, 20 Apr 1998 14:04:51 -0500 (CDT)
From:      "Paul T. Root" <proot@horton.iaces.com>
To:        jeffries@silo.csci.unt.edu (Jeffrey Lynn Jeffries)
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Wanting to make custom installations

In a previous message, Jeffrey Lynn Jeffries said:
> I would like to make custom installations based on the "type" of machine
> it will be (i.e. workstation, file server, etc.).  Is there a way I can
> make a boot floppy that will set up the disk, set up the DNS, gateway,
> etc., and the install only the packages I want from a list (rather than
> having to select them all by hand)?  I can't really make a "master hard
> drive" and use dd to duplicate it since I don't have the extra hardware to
> spare for that - but I do have a large fs exported via NFS that I can use.
>
> Any ideas??

Sure, make a minimal kernel, and compress it with kzip. Then, put it
on a floppy that has a bootblock. Populate with the tools you need
and create an rc file that asks the right questions and does the
right things.

I did this and burned my own CD with dump images of a generic machine.

If you don't have a CD burner. Perhaps a SyQuest EzJet (1.5 gig) or Sparq
(1.0 gig) or an Iomega Jaz, would do the trick.

--
A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely
rearranging their prejudices.  -- William James