Date:      Sat, 13 Feb 1999 11:30:01 -0800 (PST)
From:      Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@flood.ping.uio.no>
To:        freebsd-bugs@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: misc/10065: package minicom needs package kermit not on FreeBSD 3.0 CD

The following reply was made to PR misc/10065; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@flood.ping.uio.no>
To: berend@pobox.com
Cc: freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.ORG
Date: 13 Feb 1999 20:22:29 +0100

 berend@pobox.com writes:
 > >How-To-Repeat:
 > Install minicom when installing freebsd from cd.
 >
 > Needs package kermit x.xx, but is not on the cd, so doesn't install.
 >
 > >Fix:
 > Place package kermit on the cd.

 Kermit is distributed under a license which explicitly prohibits
 redistribution. The only way to install Kermit is to download the
 sources directly from the authors' site and compile them.

 I suggest that you install Kermit from the ports collection:

 # cd /usr/ports/comms/kermit
 # make install clean

 You can then register minicom as a dependency:

 # cd /var/db/pkg
 # ls -d minicom* > kermit*/+REQUIRED_BY

 Assuming you installed minicom 1.82 and Kermit 6.0.192, there should
 now be a file named /var/db/pkg/kermit-6.0.192/+REQUIRED_BY which
 contains the line 'minicom-1.82'.

 By the way, minicom will work just fine without Kermit, so you don't
 need to do any of that unless you specifically need Kermit.

 DES
 --
 Dag-Erling Smorgrav - des@flood.ping.uio.no