Date:      Mon, 1 Jun 1998 08:31:59 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Mike <mike@seidata.com>
To:        Steve Reid <sreid@alpha.sea-to-sky.net>
Cc:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: /usr/sbin/named

On Sun, 31 May 1998, Steve Reid wrote:

> Strings shows the version as 4.9.6-REL and a recent Bugtraq post listed
> this version as exploitable. However, although the _version_ is the same

The versions the Bugtraq post list as vulerable are vulnerable if
you are using the named.boot/conf options mentioned.  If you're not using
these options, you are not vulnerable.  My 2.2.6-REL box was running a
"vulnerable version", but was not "vulnerable" since I didn't accept fake
queries, etc.  I've since upgraded to 8.1.2-T3B.

You could re-compile with certain compile-time options unset (as
mentioined in the post), upgrade to 4.9.7 or 8.1.2, or not worry about
this at all if you are not using the named.boot/conf settings that allow
your system to be vulnerable.

later,
 Mike