Date:      Tue, 03 Nov 1998 12:04:37 +0100
From:      "José Mª Alcaide" <jose@we.lc.ehu.es>
To:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        "Christopher R. Bowman" <crb@ChrisBowman.com>, Gregory Benjamin <gregb@laserlab.com>, Jonathan Walters <jwalters@interlog.com>, "Plucker, Prentice" <prentice.plucker@lodgenet.com>
Subject:   Re: 440GX chipset?

Thanks very much for your answers! I'm summarizing:

[From "Christopher R. Bowman" <crb@ChrisBowman.com>]:
Tyans S1836DLUAN THUNDER 100 seems to be a _REALLY_ nice board, its got it all
and the only thing I would change is a dual channel U2W scsi Controller for
the dual UW one.  I think this is going to be my next board.

[ME]:
Thanks for your recommendation. I know that Tyan has good products,
but unfortunately Tyan mb's are not an option for us because lack
of distribution in our area.

[Gregory Benjamin <gregb@laserlab.com>]:
Try this url:
http://www.supermicro.com/PRODUCT/MotherBoards/440GX/p6dgs.htm

[ME]:
That was the first thing I did! :-) However, Supermicro does not
offer enough technical information about their mb's.

[Jonathan Walters<jwalters@interlog.com>]:
I believe that chipset is only for Slot-2 processors (Xeon). Tyan
is now advertising one on their website as well.

[ME]:
The P6DGS mb accepts _only_ Pentium II processors. Supermicro offers
other motherboards (called S2Gxx), also based on the 440GX chipset,
_only_ for Xeon processors. So I would like to know whether there is
some benefits from using a 440GX/PentiumII mb instead of a 440BX one.

["Plucker, Prentice" <prentice.plucker@lodgenet.com>]:
Check out www.tomshardware.com for some info on this board. I avoided
it because I am not a fan of the AMI Winbios.

[ME]:
I did it, but I could not find anything. Perhaps those motherboards
are too new. I don't like the AMI Winbios, but... has the BIOS any
importance when running an operating system (such as FreeBSD) which
does not use the BIOS services?

My conclusion: <ANGRY> Intel and its marketing strategy ("new"
chipsets and processors three or four times in a year) should
go to the hell right now (together with Microsoft, of course). </ANGRY>

-- JMA
Jose M. Alcaide                         | mailto:jose@we.lc.ehu.es
Universidad del Pais Vasco              | http://www.we.lc.ehu.es/~jose
Dpto. de Electricidad y Electronica     |
Facultad de Ciencias - Campus de Lejona | Tel.:  +34-944647700 x2624
48940 Lejona (Vizcaya) - SPAIN          | Fax:   +34-944858139