Date:      Mon, 19 Feb 2001 08:29:45 -0600
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        Eric Jacoboni <jaco@teaser.fr>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: About USB scanner and FreeBSD 4.2

Eric Jacoboni <jaco@teaser.fr> types:
> Mike> Until you get the uscanner device to show up, it won't work.
> Following your steps, the uscanner device show up :
> # dmesg |grep "^u"
> uscanner0: EPSON Perfection1240, rev 1.00/1.04, addr 2
>=20
> But i still don't succeed to make it work...=20
>=20
> scanimage --list-devices does'nt say anything. Xsane calls as in my
> added Xsane as a plug-ins: no device available.
>=20
> $ ls -l /dev/*scan*
> lrwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel    14 18 f=E9v 18:06 /dev/scanner -> /dev/u=
scanner0
> lrwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel    14 18 f=E9v 18:06 /dev/usbscanner -> /de=
v/uscanner0
> crw-rw-r--  1 root  operator  156,   0  4 f=E9v  2000 /dev/uscanner0
>=20
>=20
> Now, i don't know if my problem is related to FBSD or to Sane...

Well, FreeBSD is doing what it believes it should - it's attaching the
scanner and providing a device pointer for it. The man page for
uscanne says to see the sane home page <URL: http://www.xsane.org/ >
for conbfiguration information. While the problem may not be sane's,
if it's FreeBSD, it's going to require work on the uscanner device
driver to fix. So I'd attack it as if it were sane's problem until
you're convinced otherwise. You might try asking for help on
-multimedia.

=09<mike
--
Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>=09=09=09http://www.mired.org/home/mwm/
Independent WWW/Perforce/FreeBSD/Unix consultant, email for more inform=