Date:      Sun, 17 Nov 1996 17:49:47 -0700
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        Adam Shostack <adam@homeport.org>
Cc:        pgiffuni@fps.biblos.unal.edu.co, freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: BoS: Exploit for sendmail smtpd bug (ver. 8.7-8.8.2).

In message <199611180005.TAA09457@homeport.org> Adam Shostack writes:
: My suggestion was meant to imply the possibility of removing
: sendmail from the FreeBSD distribution, and only shipping qmail.

I think that would be ill-advised.  There are many other good, worthy
mailers than just sendmail and qmail (exim and smail come to mind).
Sendmail is well understood and well maintained with a very long track
record.  Other mailers, no matter how much better, don't match this
track record.

Or more succinctly: Better the devil you know...

Warner