Date:      Tue, 04 Nov 1997 10:27:51 -0800
From:      Dave Hayes <dave@jetcafe.org>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        Gary Kendall <gdk@ccomp.inode.COM>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: mv /usr/src/games /dev/null - any objections?

"JKH" == Jordan K Hubbard <jkh@time.cdrom.com> writes:
>> > It's not a question of what you like,
>> Of course. You asked for objections, and how -dare- I suggest a
>> preference? What -was- I thinking? After all, I'm just a user.
> You are quoting this out of context.  As I said, "It's not a
> question of what you like, it's a question of how to distribute this
> stuff .."

Context or not, look at the subject line. You asked for objections, I
object to the freeware games not coming standard with FreeBSD.  I
cited the reasons as "I like those games". I do realize you have what
you think are good reasons to remove all the games.

> You think we like dealing with this twice in
> 6 months?  You don't think it might be prudent, given the low
> benefit-to-risk ratio of /usr/src/games, to take steps to simply
> avoid a repetition of this problem in a known trouble spot?

There's our disagreement. You don't perceive games as a benefit. I do.

>> So let me get this straight. You -presume- I've had too little
>> experience, so because of this you are going to define me as not
>> being able to provide a requested opinion?
> Again, let me clarify: You and several others in this discussion
> haven't really been providing "the requested opinion" so much as
> you've been taking the opportunity to give me a fair bit
> questionable legal advice ("just fuck the lawyers, man!")

But I'm not a lawyer, nor was my contribution intended as legal advice
(regardless of how you perceived it). I was simply questioning,
admittedly in a backhanded way, the need to overreact based on a
laywer letter. Yes, I think you are overreacting. No, you don't have
to care that I think so.

> which I have been reacting to with semi-vitriolic paragraphs like
> the above rather than being able to spend the time more
> constructively discussing the real issue here, which is how to deal
> with this situation now and in the conceivable future, not just for
> "boggle" today.

You'll do what you think is right of course. All I can do is suggest
that you not get rid of rogue, larn, and the other freeware games.

> Perhaps I should have chosen a different subject, considering what
> the post which accompanied it segued into.

You are quite on the mark there. Be careful what you ask for, you
might just get it. :)
------
Dave Hayes - Altadena CA, USA - dave@jetcafe.org
Freedom Knight of Usenet - http://www.jetcafe.org/~dave/usenet

"Mulla, your donkey has disappeared!"
"Thank goodness I wasn't on it at the time, otherwise I would have
disappeared too!"