Date:      Tue, 20 Jan 1998 17:08:50 -0800 (PST)
From:      asami@cs.berkeley.edu (Satoshi Asami)
To:        dima@tejblum.dnttm.rssi.ru
Cc:        Nakai@Mlab.t.u-tokyo.ac.jp, ports@FreeBSD.ORG, bde@zeta.org.au
Subject:   Re: x11/explorer build failure

 * I hope, it is not so big problem for package building, since you
 * already have MANUAL_PACKAGE_BUILD.

That only disables the top-down build.  It still has to be built (and
deleted!) every time.  Since this build can't overlap the build of the
rest of the tree, too many things like this and package building will
become a nightmare.

 * 				      But if somebody installed egcs,
 * it does not mean that he wanted to make standard c++ unusable! So,
 * I think, egcs port should be fixed somehow. For example, it should
 * install its stuff under ${PREFIX}/egcs.

I think the binaries being under /usr/local/bin is fine.  If the user
has that in front of /usr/bin in PATH, they better damn well know what
they are getting.

The problem is the libraries though.  I don't think people specify
-L/usr/local/lib to get standard system libraries from there instead
of /usr/lib.  Maybe this could be fixed in /usr/bin/c*, say by having
libc and libstdc always being searched in /usr/lib first?

Or of course we can move libstdc.a from egcs to a subdirectory.  How
does egcs find it anyway, does it link with an implicit
-L/usr/local/lib or will it pick up the one in /usr/lib if the user
doesn't specify any -L flags?

Satoshi