Date:      Mon, 1 May 1995 01:13:17 +1000 (EST)
From:      Gary Roberts <garyr@wcs.uq.oz.au>
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.org (FreeBSD Hackers)
Subject:   Status of the Mentoring Project

Just a brief report to those who are interested.

I'm going to run a simple manual system while the programming gets done.
I'm calling the people doing the helping `Mentors' and the people being
helped `Mentees'.  I have 4 files prepared.  Two of them, mentor.announce
and mentee.announce, are small and designed to attract the respective
classes of people.  I'll only release mentee.announce when I've got some
more Mentors.  At the moment I've got 25 or so.

The other two files, mentor.info and mentee.info, are much more detailed
and include `fill-in' forms so that Mentors and Mentees can be `matched'
as much as possible.  When I've thought about this a bit more, and my shrink
tells me I'm not insane, I'll send all current Mentors a copy of mentor.info.
I'll then go on a `catch some more Mentors' drive.  Finally I'll open the
flood-gates by releasing mentee.announce.  Everyone who responds to that
will get mentee.info.  Once a Mentee sends in the `fill-in' form, I'll
start pairing off Mentees with Mentors.

If anyone who hasn't previously responded is willing to be a Mentor, send me
some mail.  If you've been asleep, don't know what I'm raving about and are
stup^H^H^H^Hkeen enough to want to know, just ask.  BTW, my e-mail address
is slightly different to keep this separate from my `real' work :->.

Grumbles, complaints, offers of help, willing code hackers - all offers
courteously received.

Cheers,
--
Gary Roberts  (garyr@wcs.uq.edu.au)