Date:      Wed, 1 Oct 1997 15:33:21 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Annelise Anderson <andrsn@andrsn.stanford.edu>
To:        John Fieber <jfieber@indiana.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Using SGML

On Wed, 1 Oct 1997, John Fieber wrote:

> I started a little guide, but I don't think it has everything you
> would be after, and the specifics about formatting are a little
> out of date, but have a look:
>
>  http://fallout.campusview.indiana.edu/~jfieber/docbook/markupguide.html
>
> The authoritative, and somewhat overwhelming, source is the
> Docbook reference, which can be found at either:
>
>  http://www.ora.com/davenport/dbdoc/ref/
>  http://fallout.campusview.indiana.edu/~jfieber/docbook/doc/ref/
>
> To narrow your search through the docbook reference, here is a
> list of things you can put "inline" in a paragraph:

Thanks, that helps!  I wish the Davenport guide were a single
document....

> Something you won't find in any documentation is that both
> sgmlfmt and my jade stylesheets for docbook handle some special
> cases of the <emphasis> element:

>  <emphasis role="bf">bold</emphasis>
>  <emphasis role="it">italic</emphasis>
>  <emphasis role="tt">typewriter</emphasis>

Exactly what I was looking for!

> And if you need it, I could see about adding "ul" for underline.
> I suppose I should add "bi" for bold-italic too.  However, it is
> best to avoid these if possible because it makes your document
> dependent on my processing tool, which is what SGML is all about
> avoiding!

I agree with you that it's best not to do this sort of thing....
I can always edit the html if I want something like this.

> Tell me how it goes...my wife has a large quantity of XyWrite files
> kicking around.

I managed to get the document done with a lot of vi substitutions,
and might try writing a sed script to automate the process more.
It seems that sometimes a generic closing tag--</>--is acceptable,
for example after <title>, and other times it's not, e.g.,
<emphasis> is only happy with </emphasis>.  But sgmlfmt has very
good error messages.

And there seems to be no way to center text (except for dealing
with the resulting html directly).  Not even the document title
shows up centered in Netscape....

I tried using jade to create html but either it doesn't do it or I
didn't get the command right...

Thanks again

	Annelise