Date:      Thu, 11 May 2000 00:33:37 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
To:        Ville-Pertti Keinonen <will@iki.fi>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ipsec 'replay' syslog error messages after reboot of one host

:
:dillon@apollo.backplane.com (Matthew Dillon) writes:
:
:>     The question is:  What am I forgetting to do?  Or is this a bug in our
:>     IPSEC implementation?
:
:AFAIK this is more or less how it's supposed to work.  IPsec is a
:mess.  Security associations are not stateless, ESP provides replay
:protection using a sequence number.  Replay-prevention is, however,
:optional, and the setkey manual page claims it to be off by default,
:so it could be a bug...you might want to try specifying -r 0
:explicitly.

    IPSec isn't well documented, but once I figured out the config
    file it didn't seem too bad.  I am guessing that replay prevention
    is turned on by default, but specifying '-f cyclic-seq' in the
    setkey config file at the appropriate place appears to solve the
    problem.  I haven't tried testing with packet loss to see if it
    can survive a noisy network.

    I had to fix up /etc/rc.network a little to load the ipsec rules
    at the appropriate point (just after the interface and ipfw setup,
    but before any services (like NFS) are run).  I am going to put the
    (relatively simple) patch for rc.network up for a quick review and
    then commit it along with an example file and a reference to the
    example file in the man page.

					-Matt
					Matthew Dillon
					<dillon@backplane.com>