Date:      Sun, 2 Jun 1996 18:48:10 +0930 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        hosokawa@mt.cs.keio.ac.jp (HOSOKAWA Tatsumi)
Cc:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au, hardware@FreeBSD.org, mobile@FreeBSD.org, hosokawa@mt.cs.keio.ac.jp
Subject:   Re: Laptop hardware FOUND

HOSOKAWA Tatsumi stands accused of saying:

> In article <199606020539.PAA26867@genesis.atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
> msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au writes:
>
> >> # apmconf -e
> >> Unknown Original APM event 0x10
> >> Unknown Original APM event 0xf
> >> Unknown Original APM Event 0xe
> >> Unknown Original APM Event 0xd
>
> According to APM 1.1 spec., event code 0x000c to 0x00ff is reserved
> for future extention of system events.  So, this region can't be used
> for vendor-specific extention.  0x0200 to 0x02ff is "OEM-defined APM
> events".

... so this means what?  That Sharp are violating the APM spec with these
events?

> I want to know the result of following two tests.
>
> 1. Probe message of APM driver when you #define APM_DEBUG in apm.c

apm0 on isa
apm: APM BIOS version 0101
apm: Code32 0xf00f0000, Code16 0xf00f0000, Data 0xf0000400
apm: Code entry 0x0000d003, Idling CPU disabled, Management enabled
apm: CS_limit=ffff, DS_limit=ffff
apm: running in APM 1.0 compatible mode
apm: Slow Idling CPU disabled

Also various Add hook messages &c. :
Add hook "system keyboard"
Add hook "default suspend"
Add hook "default resume"
called apm_event_enable()

> 2. Result of apmconf and apm when you add "options FORCE_APM10" in
>    your kernel config file.

There's a typo in apm.c that prevents this from working initially,
you've used 'kcd_apm.kdc_description' (that should be kdc_apm...)

# apmconf
# apmconf -e
APM ioctl: cmd = 0x20005005
called apm_event_enable()
Unknown Original APM Event 0x10
Unknown Original APM Event 0xf
Unknown Original APM Event 0xe
Unknown Original APM Event 0xd
Received APM Event: PMEV_NOEVENT
(...repeats at about 1 sec interval...)

Note that if I say
# apmconf -d
# apmconf -e
after this, the 'Original' events don't reappear.  Also, if I have APM
disabled, close the lid, open it and then enable it, the system goes into
sleep mode and then comes back out again straight away.

If I try this :
# apm

I get this :
APM ioctl: cmd = 0x40185002

(blah)

Note that the instruction pointer doesn't appear to be in the kernel,
it's 0x48:0xc43e, which I'm presuming is in the APM bios.
The 'fault virtual address' is 0xfd45.

Disks still sync OK, but the machine doesn't reboot cleanly
(wedges during BIOS startup)

Anything else I can offer?  I'll have an Accton 2002 to test in the
next couple of days, but I expect it'll be a painless exercise. 8)