Date:      Tue, 30 Sep 1997 22:31:49 -0500
From:      dkelly@hiwaay.net
To:        "Jonathan E. Lyons" <parrothd@midwest.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Crontab Man Page?!?!

Jonathan E. Lyons asks

> Hello all,
>
> 	Today I was installing a http analyzer and I realized that I had forgotten
> the format for contab entires. I checked man crontab 1 & 8 and cron itself,
> I could've sworn this info was there..Anyway can someone please post the
> format ..ie is it minute hour day month year? I seem to remember using
> something like
>
> 15 * * * /usr/bin/whatever
>
> to execute that command every 15 minutes?

Wouldn't it be nice if "crontab -e" automatically loaded a comment header
labeling fields? I notice there is some kind of automatic processing as
"crontab -l" and "crontab -e" outputs are different.

nospam: {174} crontab -l
# DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE - edit the master and reinstall.
# (/tmp/crontab.737 installed on Sun Sep 28 20:25:00 1997)
# (Cron version -- $Id: crontab.c,v 1.6.2.2 1997/09/16 07:02:14 charnier Exp $)
#
# BSD crontab allows variables like this:
PATH=/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/local/bin
#min    hr      day     mo      dow     command
#
[snip]

--
David Kelly N4HHE, dkelly@hiwaay.net