Date:      Mon, 20 Feb 2012 22:53:10 -0800
From:      Doug Hardie <bc979@lafn.org>
To:        Chip Camden <sterling@camdensoftware.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: /usr/home vs /home

On 20 February 2012, at 22:20, Chip Camden wrote:

>>> I believe the 5MB removable were RL01.  They also had a 10MB =
removable
>>> RL02, which we used for software distribution.  We resold them to =
our
>>> customers at $170 each.
>>=20
>> yes, this sound familiar. The RL02 came later.
>>=20
>> I think that tapes were much more common for software distribution =
those days.
>>=20
>> I still remember the responsiveness of RSX-11 even compared to =
FreeBSD under all circumstances. Real time is real time.
>>=20
>> Erich
>>>=20
>=20
> Oh man -- we wrote process control software in Fortran-77 on RSX-11M =
> automate our software distribution processes.  That was the best!  =
DECNET
> to communicate between systems.

RSX-11D was slicker than greased lightning.  Used it for a number of =
systems.  The first 30 pages of the kernel source were the =
documentation.  The description of every table and the values for every =
field.  What each module did was documented at the top of the module.  I =
made numerous improvements to the kernel most of which were adopted by =
DEC.  However, it was nowhere near a fully featured OS.  It was quite =
bare bones.  Great for real-time requirements.  There was a guaranteed =
maximum time that interrupts were disabled and it was very small.  We =
interfaced a number of instruments to it and none of them ever saw any =
delays.  Most of them automatically fed data to the computer.  There was =
no triggering of that.  The instruments just pushed the data.

The RK05 had one removable platter in a plastic housing.  It used a =
voice coil movement mechanism that had to be aligned every week or you =
would lose your data.  It didn't hold much and was quite slow.  We used =
those at first but the system couldn't quite meet its performance =
requirements.  I still have one of those platters on my wall at home.  =
Departure present from the unit.  That particular platter had a head =
crash so the remaining oxide had to be sanded off to sanitize it.  The =
timing side is out with lettering on it now.  We used 4 RK05s in one =
rack and each was mounted as a separate disk.  The controller was single =
threaded so you couldn't get any performance improvement with creative =
disk assignments.

We switched to 5 platter drives RP04s which were extremely reliable and =
didn't need frequent maintenance.  They also ran much faster than the =
RK05s and held more than 10 times the data.