Date:      Tue, 22 Jul 2014 11:31:26 -0300
From:      Juan Bernhard <juan@inti.gob.ar>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Migrating users from Linux

El 22/07/2014 11:03 a.m., Luciano Mannucci escribió:

> Still in the process of migrating all my Linux servers to FreeBSD, I'm
> now trying to move out a couple of thousands users created in a twenty
> years timespan from a linux server.
> Of course I need to keep uid and gid, though the juicy part is...
> the passwords! I have them only in encrypted form and in different
> algorythms (DES, Blowfish, ...) and the happily coexist. Con they
> be used as they are in Freebsd?
>
> Thanks a lot again,
>
> luciano.

I think that if you respect the fields order and values for
master.password, the hash will work fine.
See "man 5 master.password", and if you need to add another algorithm
see "man 3 crytp" to understand in witch algorithm you have hashed the
old passwords (for example, if the hash begins with $1$ is in MD5)

Saludos, Juan.