Date:      Fri, 21 Jan 2000 05:31:16 +0100
From:      Olaf Hoyer <ohoyer@fbwi.fh-wilhelmshaven.de>
To:        Kent Hauser <kent@tfd.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ATA drives with ATA66 (?) controller

At 22:51 20.01.00 -0500, you wrote:
>Hi
>
>Thanks a lot for your note. Maybe I missstated my problem:
>my drive works great with W98, but is not recognized by FBSD.]
>Any thoughts on what I might do (besides sending the drive/controller
>to you:=>)

Hi!

Ok, what you can do:

1) get and flash new Mobo BIOS
2)get and flash new drive firmware, if available.
BTW: which exact model number has your drive?
3) change cabling, if you have the 80-pin cable, swap against a 40pin, to
force DMA/33 mode. Also make sure that there are all jumpers correct.

4) unhook those 2 CD-ROMS, try putting it as Master only on a controller
5) fiddle with BIOS settings, tell the BIOS that it shall _not_ use auto
mode, but you tell it to use whether DMA/33 or PIO, if that helps.
6) Sometimes, if drives are over 8 GB, you have to use LARGE mode instead
of LBA to get them detected correctly. Because LARGE uses different way of
approching it through BIOS than LBA, it sometimes works. At least M$ NT has
sometimes trouble with LBA and needs LARGE. Seems also to depend on mobo
manufacturer and chipset.

BTW: Which model/rev. is your mainboard?

(Am discussing things like these also on other lists, maybe they have a
clue, since they are building lots of DMA/33 and 66 systems)

if nothing helps: send it to me ;-)))

Regards
Olaf Hoyer
--------
Olaf Hoyer	www.nightfire.de		mailto:Olaf.Hoyer@nightfire.de
FreeBSD- The power to serve		ICQ:22838075

Liebe und Hass sind nicht blind, aber geblendet vom Feuer,
dass sie selber mit sich tragen. (Nietzsche)