Date:      Mon, 01 May 1995 22:15:26 -0700
From:      "Mike O'Brien" <obrien@leonardo.net>
To:        terry@cs.weber.edu (Terry Lambert)
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Compress dumps?

> One possible fix is to go to a block compression scheme or a file
> compression scheme as the tapes are written.

This is more what I had in mind.  I fully recognize the danger in
simply gzipping the entire stream.  I was just wondering if the notion
had occurred to anyone else.  Given my experiences in the use of
"floppy tape" I must say that rather than saving money by compressing
the dump stream, I'm more of a mind to save my sanity by using a real
SCSI tape drive so I don't have to worry about false economy.

Mike O'Brien